For those wishing to dive deeper into the practice of mindfulness, and in particular, the cultivation of loving-kindness, you won't want to miss the summer Mindful Readers' Series.
Equal parts meditation group and book club, we will share our experiences reading the latest book by author Sharon Salzberg, Real Love.
Through the lens of the mindful reader, we will explore the book in three sections, investigating and exploring the various ways we navigate our loving relationships. We'll apply ourselves to the practices and the reflections suggested in the book as a way to invite love to become the basis for our daily lives. This is "life-as-practice" mindfulness training.
Each class will have a period of mindful movement, a guided meditation, and a lively and open group discussion of our experiments with the practices in the book. Both beginning and experienced meditators encouraged to attend.
We will meet every other week on Tuesdays from 4:00 - 5:30 beginning on June 19th. The last class on 8/28 will be two hours.
Dates: 6/19, 7/3, 7/17, 7/31, 8/14, & 8/28
Schedule of Chapters
- Class 1: Orientation & Group Introductions; Gentle Movement and Meditation PLEASE READ "INTRODUCTION: LOOKING FOR LOVE" and "TAKEAWAYS FROM EACH SECTION" BEFORE CLASS
- Class 2: Gentle Movement and Meditation; Discussion PLEASE READ SECTION I INTRODUCTION and CHAPTERS 1 - 3 BEFORE CLASS
- Class 3: Gentle Movement and Meditation; Discussion PLEASE READ SECTION I CHAPTERS 4 - 9 BEFORE CLASS
- Class 4: Gentle Movement and Meditation; Discussion PLEASE READ SECTION II INTRODUCTION and CHAPTERS 10 - 14 BEFORE CLASS
- Class 5: Gentle Movement and Meditation; Discussion PLEASE READ SECTION II CHAPTERS 15 - 18 BEFORE CLASS
- Class 6: Gentle Movement and Meditation; Discussion PLEASE READ SECTION III INTRODUCTION and CHAPTERS 19 - 24 BEFORE CLASS
From the sharonsalzberg website: "In her tenth book, Sharon Salzberg provides a pathway towards more sustainable and authentic connection by offering a creative toolkit of mindfulness exercises and meditation techniques that guide us to strip away our layers of habit to access a truer understanding of love, “real love.” This journey enables us to become more present and to begin to experience real love—love based on direct interactions, rather than preconceptions. When we are truly engaged in these present experiences we are not only able to feel more connected to our own core selves, but also to those around us, and ultimately to life itself. Divided into three sections, Real Love explores love in three arenas of life: for oneself, love for an other, and love for all of life."
Sharon Salzberg is one of the foremost authorities of western Buddhism and mindfulness of our time. This program will be facilitated by Jessica Webb, MBSR teacher, Mindfulness Yoga 500-hour instructor, and owner of Anchor Yoga.
Cost: $25 for the six-session program*
*This class is offered in the spirit of däna (generosity). The $25 fee covers the studio costs only. In keeping with Buddhist tradition, the teachings will be freely offered. Participants are encouraged to make a donation of any amount for instruction and facilitation. Pre-registration required. Please purchase a copy of the book to bring with you each class.